Friday, March 26, 2010

A reminder....

As we walk through life, we meet certain people  who make a lasting impression on us.  Anna was one of those people.  I met Anna when her son was a camper in the summer camp program that I instruct.  The very first thing you noticed about Anna was her smile.  Then you noticed the speed in which she moved with her crutches.  Then you might notice that she had one leg.  Anna was amazing to watch.  There wasn't much she couldn't so with her crutches and one leg that we couldn't do with two.  I  used to tease her that she pulled up and got out of her vehicle quicker than any of the other Moms.  I was amazed when she carried things with two arms and used her shoulder muscles to move her crutches.  She was an awesome Mom and a substitute Teaching Assistant in our school system.  When Sierra met her last summer she so patiently answered all Sierra's questions about her leg.  And Sierra asked a lot of questions!  But Anna answered them all and didn't mind that whenever we saw her after that Sierra would repeat to her all the things she had told her. Anna had fought a battle at a young age.  She lost her leg to cancer as a child.  She was a single Mom who had great love for her child.  She volunteered at school and was just a pleasure to be around. Her smile was infectious and she was never unkind!!  Yesterday morning I heard a call on our fire company scanner.  Because I am on leave I had not heard that Anna had  had open heart surgery in the beginning of March.  I didn't know that she was facing a new tough battle, one she hoped to win!!.  And although the fire co. ( my husband and son included) and the paramedics gave everything they had, Anna passed away.  She was 41 and leaves behind a son in third grade.  It touched me greatly.  Anna and I were not close friends but she was someone I was always happy to see and speak with.  Our small community will miss her. And although everyone who met her was amazed at the physical obstacles that she overcame on a daily basis, it was not what defined her.  She was a good person in a world where there is much unkindness.  I am  a better person for have known her and I wish her Peace.  I will be praying for her family ,especially her young son.  Please keep them in your thoughts as well.

3 comments:

  1. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.
    Blessings, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How extremely sad for that little boy to lose his mommy at such a young age. I hope that she had family she was close to so he has someone to care for him, I will pray for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tribute for a woman who sounds like she was a blessing to all who knew her. My prayers go out to her family--especially her son.

    I just stopped by to catch up on the latest and saw Sierra's cast. Oh no! I'm glad she won't have to wear it long.

    Hope all is well.

    God Bless,
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete