Monday, February 22, 2010

While I was away....

You know the saying...what you don't know won't hurt you.  Well I guess it was good that I didn't know that while I was sleeping peacefully at my sister's in Maryland, my husband, my 2 sons and my brother in law were busy fighting a house fire up the road from where we live.  I always worry when they get called out but this time I didn't even know until my husband called me at 9:00 this morning after being up all night and then having to go to work.  The house was completely gutted but no one was hurt, mostly because a neighbor pounded on their door. ( SMOKE DETECTORS SAVE LIVES, especially if your neighbor isn't around.)  Still when I see these pictures of my 18 year old son right in the middle of all this, I feel both extremely proud and a little sick to my stomach.  I also know that since Paul, my middle son, is the Asst. Chief,  he's always in the thick of things too.  He told me that this fire had some electrical components an he actually got zapped!! And my husband usually runs the engine trucks but has also gone into burning houses many times!!!  I am so proud of my guys who take this all so seriously. This call came at 11:30 pm and they didn't get home to 5:00 am , just in time to shower and go to work!!  If you have volunteer firemen where you live, take the time to thank them and tell them how much they are appreciated!!!


2 comments:

  1. Kathie, tou have every reason to be proud! I am so glad that everyone is safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always admire those brave enough to be a firefighter, let alone a volunteer firefighter. I'm sure they don't get half the recognition they deserve from the community. Way to go, guys! Glad they are all okay.

    ReplyDelete