Thursday, January 21, 2010

Really...... Home!!!

We have spent the last 2 weeks reminiscing about the time we spent in China a year ago. We have nothing ( well except for David getting so sick) but fond memories of our journey across the sea. We knew it would be worthwhile because of the treasure we were bringing home. But nothing could have prepared us for the way that trip changed our lives.  It was truly amazing to witness a culture that was so vastly different than ours.  The customs were different, the food was different, the driving was different(very different) the language was different, but then on a Sunday we went to church.  In that small church packed with standing room only, I realized that we were not so different after all.  They love, they hurt, they work, they play and some love God,  just like we do.  It was an experience I will never forget.  And the people we met...The shop keepers, Hebe, Dong and Jordan(and more) our guides, Susan and Alison, and our travelmates...we will never forget the important role they played in our journey.  A year ago on Saturday Sierra woke up on her 3rd birthday in a hotel room in China.  She went to sleep almost 32 hours later, still on her birthday, in a crib in our house.  And here she will stay..forever with the family that loves her.  She said it best last night.  "Mama, I am sooo glad that lady ( that is you, Dana) found you for me.  I am so glad I have a nice house to live in." Me too baby, me too!!!
Here is the final video of our trip.  It took me almost a year to complete it.  It was Scott's Christmas present this year.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, enjoyed looking at your pictures. Still can't believe it's been a year already. Wish we could go back, just not sure when we'll ever be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - tears! Thanks Kathie. I have every intention of meeting all of you some day and I want Sierra to know who "that lady" really is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful Kathie! It was a trip down memory lane for me too! Has anyone ever told you that Sierra looks a lot like you? Only God could bring you together, mother and daughter countries apart but family all the same.

    Hugs,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome trip it was and we are so blessed to have met you and your family on this trip! I brought my kleenex...and I needed it! Thank you for sharing the wonderful memories! I remember sitting in the hallway and singing to Sierra on her 3rd birthday and so wish we could be there to celebrate her 4th. Know that we are there in spirit. Thank you for sharing...I need to create a video...some day I will figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love the video. Happy Birthday sweet Sierra!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I just had to get up and close my office door since I'm crying here at work watching your video. It brings back SOOOO many memories of our trip. It really does seem like just yesterday when looking at the pictures. It's amazing how quickly you can be right back there in that room where we all met our daughters for the first time. What an amazing journey and you're so right about how the people we met and the other families so added to our experience. I think about Jordan (from the shop) and his family often and wonder if he knows what an impression he left with most of us.

    I wish we could all get together for a reunion some day...that would be amazing.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete